Growing plants in a greenhouse is a very rewarding experience for a home gardener.
The best plants for your Greenhouse usually depend largely on your set up however there are a few types and species that are generally ideal for growing in a greenhouse.
Why Use a Greenhouse
Because the Greenhouse allows excellent environmental control and protection against pests and inclement weather, it is ideal for growing a variety of plants all year round.
The Greenhouse allows you the opportunity to grow a wider range of plants even though they are not suitable for your climate.
Greenhouses do, however, require some heating and cooling systems as well as proper ventilation to create a suitable environment for the specific plants that you will be growing.
Most Greenhouse types can host a large variety of plants such as Tropical plants, Vegetables, Flowering Plants, and Succulents easily.
Tips for Growing Plants in a Greenhouse
Choosing the type of plants and actually growing them inside your greenhouse are two completely different aspects.
So here are a few tips on growing gorgeous and healthy plants in your greenhouse;
- Plan Ahead – If you want to extend the growing seasons of your plants, you will need to do research on their actual seasons to know when to plant and when to harvest, as well as prepare your greenhouse appropriately.
- High-Quality Soil – The Soil houses the roots of your plants and also transports water and nutrients to the plants. Therefore, you will need good quality soil as a growing medium to have strong and healthy plants.
- Natural Ventilation – Using natural ventilation reduces your greenhouse costs and provides your plants with regular fresh air. You do this by improving air circulation, controlling the temperature and humidity levels inside the greenhouse.
- Monitor Changes in Your Plants – Make a note of any irregularities to your plants, such as spots or areas where plants are dying or yellowing.
- Clean It – Keep the film or glaze on your greenhouse so that your plants receive proper sunlight and consistent light exposure.
- Only Water When Necessary – Never Overwater your plants, only water them when necessary, and do some research on the watering that specific plant species need, as some need more than others.
Features of a Good Plant for Greenhouses
Plants for Greenhouses are plants that will thrive in a container and fit well into the microclimate you have created inside your greenhouse.
In the Feature list, I will add the plants in different categories that are ideal for growing in a greenhouse.
Take note that although some plants come available in small live plants, most are sold as seeds.
- Speciality Plants – Succulents, cacti and Bamboo plants make great gifts and grow easily in greenhouses. They are also very hardy plants types.
- Flowers – Flowering plants such as Geraniums, Inpatients, Roses, Salvia, and Violets do well in greenhouses.
- Fruits – Some Fruit types grow in containers such as small peach trees, orange trees, Berries, and Grape Vines. Orange trees also grow well in a greenhouse.
- Vegetables – Most vegetable types will flourish in a greenhouse. They include; Lettuce, Cucumbers, Carrots, Peas, Peppers, Broccoli, Corn, Cabbage, and Tomatoes.
- Herbs – Almost all herb types are ideal for greenhouses. They are; Mint, Basil, Cilantro, Coriander, Oregano, Parsley, and Thyme.
- Topicals – Some palm types and ferns are also ideal for growing inside a greenhouse.
Reviews: The Best Plants for Greenhouses
Here are a few plant types that are excellent choices for a greenhouse;
- This is a Costa farm Palm for your greenhouse.
- The plant comes with different options with or without fertilizer and in a pot.
- It is easy to care for and comes with full instructions,
- The size of the plant is three feet tall.
- From Bonnie plants, we have some lovely herbs, the sweet basil plant.
- It comes in a set of four and has large leaves for intense flavor and aroma.
- The plant is ideal for greenhouses and culinary use.
- It is healthy and vibrant.
- Garden Elements brings you their gorgeous live geranium plant.
- This is a flowering plant with a lovely sunrise orange flower.
- You get three flowering plants in a pot with your purchase.\It is ideal for pots and containers inside your greenhouse.
- Here we have a mix of lettuce seeds that can be grown in a pot of your choice inside your greenhouse or on the floor.
- The lettuce includes Merlot, Quattro Stagioni, Tom Thumb, Little Gem, Red Streaked Mizuna, Lentissima a Montare, Rouge D’Hiver, May Queen, Rossa Di Treviso Radicchio, Batavian Full Heart Endive Lettuce, Red Giant, Oakleaf, Big Boston, Black Seeded Simpson, Red Romaine, Green Salad Bowl, Grand Rapids, Buttercrunch, Danyelle, Winter Density, and Palla Rossa lettuce types.
- You will need to keep the seeds moist when planted and not let them dry out between watering.
- There are a thousand seeds in the mix, so be ready for many little plants.
- Make sure that you have ample space for the seedlings, or you can choose to show only a bot at a time.
- This is a gorgeous seed mix with many different lettuce leave types that also creates some of the best salads.
- From proven Winners, we have the Supertunia Petunia.
- This Petunia flowering plant has a beautiful white flower.
- It comes in a set of four potted Petunia plants with your purchase, and you can plant them in your greenhouse or in pots of your choice or keep them as is.
- Petunias are lovely vibrant flowers that grow easily and yield many blooms.
- They require full sun for at least six hours and are ideal for a greenhouse.
- And what is a greenhouse without a palm tree?
- This is a stunning addition to any greenhouse, a lovely fan-leaved palm tree that will grow indoors and outdoors.
- This is a smaller-sized potted palm tree that is a tropical plant that thrives in a greenhouse.
- It comes live with a pot which is convenient to have.
- It is also resistant to cold weather and will make a lovely windmill plant when grown.
- From the American plant Exchange, we have the perfect greenhouse plants.
- They are a set of 6 pots with Foliage plants.
- You get live plants of assorted types.
- Ideal for indoor and greenhouse growing.
- The Costa Frames plant is also perfect for a greenhouse.
- It is a Paradise Strelitzia Narcolai.
- Ideal indoor plant.
- Very decorative and becomes 24 Inches tall.
- From the Rooted Store, we have a rare delight.
- It is a Pink wandering Jew plant.
- Perfect for a greenhouse and very low-maintenance plant.
- Also ideal as a houseplant.
- The American plant Exchange brings you their Real Live Miniature Fruit plant for your greenhouse.
- The fruit plant grows miniature pomegranates.
- It is ideal for indoors and greenhouses.
- You can also eat the small pomegranates.
Index Table: Top Rated Plants for Greenhouses
|1||Costa Farms Florida - Plant for Greenhouse||Costa Farms||98|
|2||Bonnie Plants Sweet Basil - Plant for Greenhouse||Bonnie Plants||97.8|
|3||Three Company Live - Geranium Plant for Greenhouse||Three Company||97.2|
|4||Harley Seeds Mix - Plant Seeds for Greenhouse||Harley Seeds||97.7|
|5||Proven Winners Supertunia - Petunia Plant for Greenhouse||Proven Winners||97.4|
|6||Perfect Plants Live - Palm Plant for Greenhouse||Perfect Plants||97.5|
|7||American Plant Exchange Dish - Greenhouse Foliage Plants||American Plant Exchange||97.5|
|8||Costa Farms White Bird - Greenhouse Plants||Costa Farms||97.2|
|9||Rooted Store rare ink - Greenhouse Jew Plant||Rooted Store||96.9|
|10||American Plant Exchange Pomogranate - Greenhouse Plants||American Plant Exchange||97|
Table of Contents
- Why Use a Greenhouse
- Tips for Growing Plants in a Greenhouse
- Features of a Good Plant for Greenhouses
- Reviews: The Best Plants for Greenhouses
- Costa Farms® Florida Plant for Greenhouse
- Bonnie Plants® Sweet Basil Plant for Greenhouse
- Three Company® Live Geranium Plant for Greenhouse
- Harley Seeds® Mix Plant Seeds for Greenhouse
- Proven Winners® Supertunia Petunia Plant for Greenhouse
- Perfect Plants® Live Palm Plant for Greenhouse
- American Plant Exchange® Dish Greenhouse Foliage Plants
- Costa Farms® White Bird Greenhouse Plants
- Rooted Store® rare ink Greenhouse Jew Plant
- American Plant Exchange® Pomogranate Greenhouse Plants
- Index Table: Top Rated Plants for Greenhouses