The beginning of summer and warm weather means swimming and pool season.
This is when you need t start checking the quality of your Pool water, which for a residential pool means checking the pH, Chlorine, Alkalinity, and Acid demand.
To do this, you will need the proper Pool testing Kit.
Table of Contents
- Working with a Pool Test Kit
- What To Test For in Your Pool?
- Features of a Good Pool Test Kit
- Reviews: The Best Pool Test Kits
- U.S Pool Supply® Standard Liquid Pool Test Kit
- FunDadyUs® Monitor Digital Pool Test Kit
- AquaChek® 7-Way Strip Pool Test Kit
- LaMotte® 2058 ColorQ Digital Liquid Pool Test Kit
- Poolmaster® Smart Test 4-Way Strip Pool Test Kit
- Aqua Chek® Yellow Strip Pool Test Kit
- JNW® Direct Test Kit for Pools
- AquaChek® 7-Way Pool Test Kit
- Varify® Premium Test Kit for Pools
- WWD® pool and Spa Pool Test Kit
- Index Table: Top Rated Pool Test Kits
Working with a Pool Test Kit
The standard Liquid or Strip Pool testing kit comes in a 4 in 1 tester that tests the pH levels, Chlorine, Acid demand, and Alkalinity, whereas the 2 in 1 kit only tests Chlorine and pH. Then you get the 5 in 1 that tests Chlorine, Bromine, Alkalinity, pH, and acid demand, or the 6 in 1 that tests all of these, water hardness, and cyanuric acid.
A swimming pool is just a hole in the ground with water that you need to keep and maintain clean and healthy.
Swimming pools are usually used by multiple persons at any given time, which means the water needs consistent testing to prevent infectious diseases and enhance your swimming experience.
There is generally no set guideline for when to conduct the various pool water tests, but if you were wondering, you could follow the following guidelines;
- Chlorine Levels – Two or three times weekly.
- pH Levels – Two or Three Times a Week.
- Acid demand – Whenever you need to adjust your Pool’s pH levels.
- Alkalinity – Weekly unless there is a change in pH levels.
- Calcium hardness – Monthly tests.
- Cyanuric Acid Levels – Tested Monthly.
- Total Dissolved Soliods (TDS) – Tested Monthly.
What To Test For in Your Pool?
Using the same list, you will need to test for the following results;
- pH – test for a pH level between 7. And 7.6 for safety.
- Alkalinity – Alkalinity must be between 80 and 120 ppm; otherwise, your water may be too alkaline or too acidic for your skin.
- Calcium Hardness – The Calcium should be between 180 and 220ppm for the water hardness to be at perfect levels.
- Chlorine – Chlorine should not be above 1-3ppm to be harmless to your health, yet strong enough to keep the water clear and clean.
- Bromine – A 3-5ppm level of bromine is safe and effective.
- Cyanuric Acid – For Cyanuric acids levels of 30-50ppm are safe and effective.
Keeping these levels accurate means having a safe and clean pool without harmful agents or too strong chemicals.
Features of a Good Pool Test Kit
To look at the features of a great pool test, I have divided them into three basic types of Pool tests. Usually, have an LCD screen that you can get;
- Digital Pool Test Kits – A Digital Pool testing Kit is fast, accurate, and straightforward to use. The Digital Water Tester usually has an LCD screen displaying test results, a waterproof housing, and a memory function. Most Digital Pool testers have electrodes that measure chemical levels in the water with very accurate results. Though a Digital Pool water tester will be your most expensive option.
- Liquid Pool Testing Kits – The Liquid Testing Kit is reliable, accurate, and complete in testing. However, it is also very messy and requires much more effort. Liquid pool testers use reagents added to sample water, and the results are read on a simple comparator. Most Liquid tests are very economical and easy to use and can take your pool maintenance a step further with a dosage chart that suggests treatments for certain results.
- Pool Testing Strips – Using a strip is one of the most affordable, easy-to-use, and least messy methods of testing pool water. The strip testing method is fast, accurate, clean, and easy to use and interpret. You can also use water testing strips to test for individual chemicals, or you can get 6 in 1, 4 in 1, or 2 in 1 strip to perform multiple tests simultaneously. The best part of using a strip for testing pool water is that you dip them in the water, swirl, and read the results.
The type of Pool testing Kit you use will depend on the results you are looking for and the effort you are willing to put into the testing process.
Your Strip tests are the most affordable and easiest to use, while liquid tests are more accurate and can test a wider variety. In contrast, a Digital test is very accurate, more limiting, and a bit more expensive.
Reviews: The Best Pool Test Kits
In this review section, I have included the best available Strip, Liquid, and Digital Pool water Testing Kits Available;
We hope you love the products we recommend!
We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
We have a standard three-way liquid pool test kit from U.S Pool Supply.
- The Professional kit test for Chlorine, Bromine, and chemical pH levels effectively using different liquid formulas.
- The kit includes a dropper bottle, a Chlorine test solution, and a Phenol Ted pH test solution bottle.
- The Clear View testing block shows an accurate measuring scale and integrated colored markings.
- It is straightforward to use with included instructions.
The Smart Water Care Monitor is an effective digital water testing and monitoring kit.
- The Monitor operates with a pHin app that monitors your water and alerts you when to adjust chemicals and exactly what and how much of it to use.
- It will take the guesswork out of how much chemicals you need to add as the monitor will calculate the exact amounts.
- You can use the Digital test in both your pool and hot tub.
- It is accurate and supports all water types.
The AquaChek seven-way tester strips are simple and easy to use, with accurate results.
- The Seven Way strips will measure; Chlorine, Bromine, harness, Alkalinity, pH, and Cyanuric Acid inside your swimming pool.
- The easy-to-use strips are dipped inside the pool and take 15 seconds to show results.
- You will use the reusable color chart to read and compare the results on the side of the bottle holder.
- This is also a much cleaner and faster method of testing pool water.
The Lamotte ColorQ Pro is a full Digital and Liquid Pool and Spa Testing Set.
- The Package includes a Digital Photometer with liquid reagents.
- The kit tests for Chlorine, Bromine, pH, Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, and Biguanide.
- Tablets for testing Cyanuric acids are included, which also test for iron and copper,
- You will only need five drops of liquid testing aid.
- The results are fast and accurate.
From Poolmaster, we have the Smart four Way pool testing kit with strips,
- The Strips can test water inside a pool or a spa.
- Strips are much easier to use, there is less mess, and results are quick.
- The Strips will analyze four chemical factors; Chlorine, Bromine, Alkalinity, and pH levels.
- Strips come in an easy-to-store container with a clear comparison chart.
The AquaChek yellow Test Strips ate affordable and very easy to use.
- You can dip the test strips inside your pool or spa for fast and accurate results.
- There is no mess or effort; you throw away the sued strips.
- Very accurate results are given within 30 seconds that you can compare to a given chart.
- The strips test for Chlorine, Alkalinity, pH, and Stabilizers.
- From JNW, we have a full pool test kit for home use.
- The kit includes 100 strips to test PH, chlorine levels, bromide, and water hardness.
- It is safe and accurate as well as easy to use.
- You can test your pool 100 times with 100 strips.
- From AquaChek, we have a seven-in-one pool test kit.
- The kit tests for PH, alkalinity, water hardness, chlorine, and bromine.
- It is simple and easy to use with quick results.
- The color vibrancy is also optimized for easy reading.
- The Varify pool test kit is premium and safe.
- It tests water quality and hardness effectively.
- The test comes with strips for testing and a water softener.
- Results are quick and easy to read.
- The WWD test kit can be used in a spa or pool.
- The full test kit is available in a few options.
- It is a two-way water tester for OTO, CL, and PH levels.
- Easy to use and very reliable.
Index Table: Top Rated Pool Test Kits
|U.S Pool Supply Standard - Liquid Pool Test Kit
|U.S Pool Supply
|FunDadyUs Monitor - Digital Pool Test Kit
|AquaChek 7-Way - Strip Pool Test Kit
|LaMotte 2058 ColorQ - Digital Liquid Pool Test Kit
|Poolmaster Smart Test 4-Way - Strip Pool Test Kit
|Aqua Chek Yellow - Strip Pool Test Kit
|JNW Direct - Test Kit for Pools
|AquaChek 7-Way - Pool Test Kit
|Varify Premium - Test Kit for Pools
|WWD pool and Spa - Pool Test Kit